Kari-Tek Products FAQ
Frequently Asked Questions
Leisure - The system is very versatile and can be used to carry a variety of loads for most all outdoor adventure and water sports equipment.
Commercial - There is a commercial version, used across a verity of industries with Roofers, Plumbers, Joiners Steel erectors, telecom’s, Satellite dish installers to name but a few. Using the Easy load Roof Rack correctly will reduce the risk of injuries (back / shoulders / neck) Using the ELRR is about technique and not physical strength.
- When using the ELRR system there are 2 parts to the lift.
- Part 1) lifting the load from the ground onto the ELRR.
- Part 2) lifting the ELRR up on to the roof.
- There is a compromise, the higher up on the system the load is secured / ﬁtted into cradles etc - the lift is the easier the part 2 lift will be.
- The positioning of the load brackets is important.
- Part 1, lift the load on to the brackets or cradles and secure load.
- Part 2, to carry out the second part of the lift, holding the lift handle in both hands and keeping your back straight using correct lifting procedure (bend your knees and look straight ahead) pull the ELRR away from the side of the vehicle.
- Do this by stepping back and straightening your legs at the same time, raising your hands to your chest height, (You do not want to lift your hands any higher) at this point using your leg muscles step forward and push.
- The ELRR carriage will slide up on to the roof, as soon as the load reaches the point of balance the carriage will drop onto the base rail and will easily slide home, place in the locking pins.
- Finally always check the locking pins are in correctly and ensure the rood rack system in secure (you can do this by giving it a gentle tug)
- The ELRR has a clever way of utilising part of the load to aid the lifting of the full load, (example loading 4 Kayaks).
- Load the highest two cradles with 2 Kayaks ﬁrst making sure they are securely tied or strapped on.
- Lift the carriage on to the roof place fully.
- Slot the counterbalance locking pins through the counter balance holes in the sides of the carriage making sure that the holes have gone past the rollers on the roller head bracket.
- Now bring the carriage back down to the side of the vehicle, the 2 kayaks already loaded will be above the pivot point.
- Load the second to kayaks and secure, when you now come to lift the ELRR the ﬁrst 2 kayaks will act as a counterbalance weight to help with the second 2 kayaks, slide the rack home place the locking pins.
- Check the roof rack.
- Finally always check the locking pins are in correctly and ensure the rood rack system in secure (you can do this by giving it a gentle tug).
- We recommend regular maintenance to ensure your system runs smoothly. This should be carried out approximately every 3 months or more often depending on the usage.
- Checking all components for wear or damage.
- Check the runners for debris clean and lubricate.
- Once a year the ELRR should be removed from the vehicle.
- Clean all parts with hot soapy water and rinse thoroughly.
- Lubricate the roller head and the channel runners with Chain lubricant (only a very small amount required) wipe off any excess.
Approximately 4 weeks for Hi-Lifts.
We will help you and advise what size you need. To make a purchase the customer needs to contact use ideally by email with answers to a few questions (see ordering a Roof Rack System). If you are not sure about any of the answers please feel free to contact us by phone or email and we will do our best to help you answer anything you are unsure about.
- What do you want to carry on your roof?
(i.e. Quantity and type of craft or equipment).
- Is your vehicle suitable to carry the load?
(check vehicle roof weight capacity).
What type of roof rack is currently available for your type of vehicle
( i.e. cross bars or manufacture’s roof rails & cross bars).
most vans have manufacturer’s mounting points - does your van have these? Vans with T track roof rails are the easiest to ﬁt too.
All our products are compatible to vehicles with T Track roof rails.
We can supply T track roof rails if your vehicle does not have T Tracks ﬁtted.
If unsure feel free to contact us- we may ask you to send us a photograph or two)
3 kayaks or 1 Canoe - 1300
4 kayaks or I Canoe & Kayak - 1600 If cockle shelling 2 canoes
2 Canoes 1800 - (overhang width is legal, but the driver needs to be comfortable driving with a side over hang.)
Up to 4 kayaks with a 1600 size or 5 kayaks on an 1800 size, a combination of Kayaks and canoes can also be carried.
Any vehicle over 2.2 metre high would require a Hi-lift due to the height of the vehicle and the weight of the load. The hi-lift roof rack is restricted to caring a maximum of 3 Kayaks or 1 Canoe.
Many other different types of craft can be carried and Kari-Tek products will be happy to advise.
The Hi-lift is made bespoke to vehicle as obstructions on the roof all have to be considered i.e. satellite dishes / Ariel’s / vents / roof lights etc). We have a dimension sheet on the website for customers to complete so that we can advise where necessary.